avr microcontroller & DIY electronics |
science club |
no preservatives added blog |
computer and graphics corner |
herbal treasure chest |
splash into math |
(canadian) goldenrod (solidago)
how to grow:
Goldenrod is hardy in US zones 3-8 and was already growing in our garden but it is easy to grow goldenrod from seed.
It is said that canadian and european goldenrod have similar medicinal properties.
Native American people have used goldenrod topically for sores, cuts and wounds.
This use gave the plants its latin name - solidago - which means "to make whole".
It contains rutin that can help with capillary fragility. Capillary fragility means that there are small spots of bleeding in the skin and that the person easily gets bruises. As this condition might mean that there is some deeper problem it might be good to consult a doctor however if you have this.
It is said to be antifungal and can help to get rid of Candida type yeast infections.
Goldenrod is good to decongest your nose if you have the common cold or flu. As a sinus remedy it is good to combine goldenrod with sage.
Goldenrod can also help with diarrhea and to improve digestion.
The plant is also said to help with urinary tract infections and kidney gravel. For keeping urinary tract infections away goldenrod is often used together with juniper berry and horsetail. It increases urine flow and that way might help the kidney.
Goldenrod contains the antioxidants quercetin and kaempferol. They help protect your cells from free radicals and might also remove toxins from you body (through the increased urine flow) that help keep other diseases away.
Goldenrod is also used to fight inflammation and the accompanying pain and swellings as it contains phenolic glycosides.
To prepare a tea take 1-2 teaspoons full of the dried herb per 1 cup of boiled water. Let it steep for 10-15 minutes.
cautions and possible side effects:
- As it increases urine flow you should not take it if this causes a problem for you as it might with certain heart or kidney conditions or if you already take some diuretic medications. Diuretics are medicines that increase urine production in the kidneys.
- Make sure that you are really using goldenrod as there are similar looking plants that can be very poisonous like ragwort and groundsel.
- Ragwort flower heads are often bigger than goldenrod flowers and bloom a bit earlier but unfortunately this is not always the case so you need to be careful.
- Don't use during pregnancy.
- It's not clear if goldenrod is suitable for children.
- People who are allergic to ragweed or marigold might also be allergic to goldenrod.
Copyright © 2004-2022 Katja Socher, tuxgraphics.org